Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from the book "365 Easy Mexican Recipes." I have made these several times and they are always a big hit and never last long. This recipe does take a little time - but the end result is worth the work.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- Place chicken in medium saucepan of lightly salted water. Bring to a boil over med-high heat.
- Reduce to low, simmer until chicken is done - but moist.
- Shred into strips.
- In medium skillet, heat 1 TBSP oil over med-high heat. Add onion and oregano. Cook until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cream cheese. Add chicken, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- In medium skillet, heat 2 TBSP oil over med-high heat. Using tongs, soften tortillas 1 at a time by dipping in hot oil for about 2 seconds on each side.
- Add oil if needed.
- Drain between paper towels. Stack and keep covered with clean towel.
- To fill: Spoon about 2 TBSP mixture in strip in lower 1/3 of tortilla. Roll up tightly.
- Secure with toothpick and lay seam side down on plate.
- Repeat with all tortillas.
- Taquitos can be held, covered and refrigerated, up to 6 hours before frying. Cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out.
- In medium skillet, heat remaining oil over med-high.
- Fry taquitos, 2 at a time, seam side down, turning until lightly browned on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels. Cut each taquito in half.
This is a great recipe - the time is worth it; my family loved it. I used extra cream cheese and I didn't have any toothpicks, but just placed seam down in the oil. Used olive oil for frying and omitted the oregano. I will definitely make these again. Thanks for sharing!!!
I love the concept of the recipe, but I found it a bit bland while the oregano was overwhelming. I should point out that my kids really enjoyed it. The overwhelming oregano (in my opinion) may be my fault because I made more than the recipe called for and just added extra of each ingredient without measuring exactly. It was definitely time consuming, but much quicker when I used flour tortillas. I am going to start using this recipe with left over chicken (no need to shred it--dicing would be fine) and add some of my own spices and cheddar cheese. I am sure it will be a staple for mid-week dinners.