Recipe by Timothy H.
After months of simmering excitement, American Chicken Soup Challenge came to a full boil this soup was declared "the best chicken soup in America."
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 chicken, quartered (about 3-4 pounds)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cup up
- 1 large onion, peeled and cup up
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, washed well
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut up
- 1 parsley root, with greens attached
- 1 sweet potato, peeled cut up
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill (about 3-4 stems)
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut up
- 5 sprigs cilantro (optional)
- salt and pepper
(makes about 2 quarts)
- 2 lbs chicken (I use wings & back, usually)
- 1 onion, studded with 4 whole cloves cut in quareters
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery, sliced
- 1 leek, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chicken broth in pot; bring to boil.Add chicken. Return to boil; lower heat.Gently simmer uncovered for 1 hour.Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for one-half hour more; stir occasionally.Skim fat from top.Pour into bowls; into each add a slice of carrot and a sprig of cilantro.If storing, let soup cool before refrigerating. When cold, remove the fat that rises to the surface. Use soup within 2-3 days, or store in freezer.
- For The Broth:.
- Combine all ingredients with 10 cups of water. Bring to boil.Simmer over medium heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cool, then strain.