Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is for onion lovers!
Top Review by Chef1MOM-Connie
Another Kitten exclusive. Tagged for Newest Zaar tag 8a 2/08. Oh yea this is so good my DH was drooling waiting for the meal to be put on the table. I could have skipped all the sides and just served this and DH woud have still been in heaven. He loves onions! I am not a fryer (dietary preference)but I did follow directions except reduced cayenne by 1/2),it did not taste fried or greasy. We very much liked ths and plan to have again very soon. I love how everything cooks together and takes on the sweet taste of the onions and chicken. Excellent!!!
- 1 large whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can canned corn niblets, drained
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 (10 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow dish mix together the flour with seasoning salt, cayenne and garlic powder.
- Toss/coat the chicken pieces well on all sides with flour mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven (I use my large electric frypan for this).
- Add in the coated chicken pieces and brown on both sides (about 6-8 minutes per side).
- Add in sliced onions (leave the chicken pieces in the Dutch oven do not remove to a plate) stirring constantly until wilted and browned.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits; saute the onions for about 10 minutes, adding in the minced garlic the last 3 minutes of sauteeing.
- Season with salt and more cayenne pepper or black pepper.
- Add in bell pepper and bay leaf; continue stirring for another 10 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth; cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for about 30 minutes more or until the chicken pieces are cooked and tender.
- Add in corn, peas and mushrooms; cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the veggies are heated through completely.