This is an adoption from the Garlic Lover's Cookbook (Cookbook Swap 2007) and a request to post. I made this for my family and the whole house smelled aromatic and comforting. It was a big hit at our house, hope it is at yours.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 8 tablespoons garlic, blanched this is approximate depending on size of garlic bulb (I used 2 very large ones, 2 whole heads)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute chicken in pan with olive oil spray til golden outside.
- Lay chicken breasts in roasting pan in a single layer.
- Lay BLANCHED garlic over chicken breasts.
- Whisk together tomatoes, wine, broth, tarragon and marjoram and pour over top of chicken and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Served with garlic roasted potatoes, green beans and a loaf of crusty homemade herb bread.
Wonderful! I blanched the garlic in salted water for 10 minutes and that was spot on to leave it tender after cooking without losing too much of the garlic punch. I served along with mashed potato and a side of steamed vegies, it really would go well with anything that soaks up the great sauce like the suggested crusty bread. I used a good dry white wine, it does contribute quite a bit to the flavor so worth using something decent.
This makes a lovely meal. DH really enjoyed it. I used 2 large HEADS of garlic that I blanched by peeling and dropping into the hot broth that I heated in the microwave in a glass measuring cup. Cooked again for 1 minute in the micro then added the wine and poured into the oven proof skillet that I browned the chicken in. I also sliced the really large cloves of garlic in half. I put the skillet in the oven rather than transfer to a roasting pan. Fewer dishes! Yeah! My chicken was done a lot sooner than the 40-50 minutes required so I would recommend checking them at about 20 minutes, especially if the chicken breast is small or thin. I was not sure as to the size or weight of the chicken as it isnt listed here. I served this with garlic potatoes as recommended. I think next time I will serve this with some type of pasta such as egg noodles or maybe some linguine. Thanks for a great recipe that really comes together fast and since it cooks in the oven, gives you time to spend with friends and family. I can really see this as a great recipe for a dinner party. I served this with a Yalumba Viogner and it went together very well. Made for Bev Tag! Thanks 1Mom!
This is so delicious and easy to make. The recipe reduces to 2 servings nicely. For the 2 of us, I used almost a full head of garlic and discovered that I didn't have the spices called for and used a spice blend. The chicken was moist, tender and full of flavor.