Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This simple recipe makes GREAT tasting shawarma. We like this served in pitas with this wonderful garlic mayo: Garlic Aioli tomato, cucumber, and red onion. Really a wonderful, flavorful sandwich. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 -2 black cardamom pod
- Mix all the ingredients together
- cook over medium heat about 1 hour.
- the chicken will become very soft and tender. Mash it up with a wooden spoon to shred it all apart.
- Serve in pitas with your favorite condiments and veggies.
Wonderful smells permeated the house while this was cooking! It produced a nicely flavored and tender meat. I served with Cucumber Raita and we very much enjoyed the combo. Thanks for sharing!
We love Shwarma and I always thought it was impossible to make at home until I found this yummy recipe. The meat was delicious. I served it in a fresh warm lafa as a sandwich mixed with diced tomatoes, cucumber and red onion just like you recomended. I also mixed in some Tahini and humus, What a treat! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.
this was really good... i think that next time i'm going to cook it in the crock pot. so that i don't have to worry about it drying up in the pot. it really did taste and smell like shawarma. I made it with the recommended garlic sauce and it was so so yummy.