Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious, low-cal recipe originally from Eating Well. Surprisingly sweet and spicy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup diced mango
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Trim visible fat from chicken breasts.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl, dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture and place into skillet.
- Cook until no longer pink in center, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add jalapeno, garlic and ginger to the pan, stirring until softened (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add broth and stir for an additional minute.
- Mix orange juice, brown sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to the pan and stir until thickened (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in mango and cook until heated through (about 1 minute).
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Spoon sauce over chicken and season with cilantro.
We served this to rave reviews at the Legion in Chapala , Jalisco, Mexico. Sixty people had smiles on their faces!!! Thanks for a wonderful recipe!
I cut my chicken up into 1 inch pieces and used 5Alive instead of the orange juice (this is what I had on hand). Presentation was nice, and hubby liked the pineappley taste that the five alive contirbuted, but unfortunately all I could taste was the pepper (and I'm not sensitive when it comes to pepper). Maybe I will try again using chili flakes instead of the black pepper to get a bit more kick without the peppery taste?
This is a perfect marriage of sweet and spicy! So good - this is going in my permanent file. You'll want to serve this with white rice, to savor every last drop of this scrumptious sauce!