Recipe by msbelle
I don't know where this originated. There are several chicken and rice recipes out there. I actually have a couple. This is one that I have made forever. My daughter, Jenny, loves this. She requested that I post it. There are 2 methods - oven and crock pot - each requires the recipe to change just a tad. This recipe needs more flavor so I usually add 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules and of course, salt and pepper to taste.
Top Review by Gidget265
This was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I double checked my mom's handwritten recipe and she normally cooks it a lot lower and for 2 hours. There are other recipes on this site that show that time/temp. I needed to use up some broccoli crowns and so I finely chopped and mixed that in. I also only used 1/2 stick butter and it was plenty! I added some onion powder and some garlic powder for a little zip. Next time may saute onions and garlic in the butter before adding to the soup mix.... All in all - very similar to what mom used to make.
- 6 -8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1.5 (8 ounce) cans water
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- chicken bouillon granule
Directions See How It's Made
- OVEN METHOD:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 10x15 casserole dish, melt butter.
- Combine soups with water.
- Stir in uncooked rice with soups, along with bouillon, salt and pepper.
- Pour soup and rice mixture into casserole dish on top of melted butter. Then layer chicken breasts over this.
- *I save some soup back to pour over chicken in order to keep it moist on top.
- Cover & bake at 350 degrees for approximately l 1/2 hours, then uncover and bake approximately 10 minutes more, or till all liquid is dissolved.
- CROCK POT METHOD:.
- Grease crock pot with cooking spray.
- Layer soup & water combination, rice, and melted butter. Save a little soup mixture back to place over chicken breasts.
- Place chicken breasts on top of this.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- ***This is great for covered dish (potluck) dinners, to take to a bed-ridden friend, etc. It can go many places and is quick and easy!