Creamy Mexican Chicken & Rice Casserole
This casserole is a favorite of everyone who has it. Every time I ask, "What would you like for dinner/your birthday/major event?" I am always surprised that the request is this simple casserole. My mother-in-law made this for my husband when he was a kid and it is still his favorite, and now my family requests it as well.
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) bag nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips, crushed
- cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- Prepare chicken and rice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Mix together soups, tomatoes, and broth.
- In a large casserole dish, layer half of chicken, soup mixture, and cheese. Repeat.
- Top with crushed chips.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbling; serve over rice.
- NOTE: The chips get pretty dark--if you are afraid they will burn cover the casserole.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I have been making a similar casserole for years...I put the tortilla chips in a large casserole..I put the soups, chicken broth (I make my own with slow cooked chicken, carrots, celery, and better than bullion chicken stock base) and rotel tomatoes in a fairly large pot..add one large sweet yellow onion chopped in large pieces a pound of velvetta cubed, a teaspoon of chili powder and a teaspoon fo garlic powder..heat untill cheese melts stirring so it wont burn..put chicken pieces around on top of chips and pour soup mixture over chips and chicken...bake at 350 degrees. until bubbly.add a bit of shreaded cheddar the last ten minutes..( I serve the mexican rice on the side.)
I've made this recipe twice now. The first time I didn't really like it, it was too spicy and I messed up the rice so it was hard to chew (bad, I know). I just made it again tonight and it turned out great! I spread the cooked rice on the bottom of a 13x9'' pan, then added the chicken and soup mix over it. I added velveeta and just a little shredded sharp cheddar cheese over top, I then baked it at 350 for 30 minutes, added the doritos and baked 5 minutes more. My husband and I added a tiny bit of sour cream each and that was it! So good.