Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
A richly flavoured Indonesian curry from Nancy Lam, seasoned with a wonderfully fragrant mix of exotic spices, coconut, lemon grass and lime leaves.
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 4 ounces small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 macadamia nuts, chopped
- 3 red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 4 slices fresh galangal root
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut into 12 pieces
- 4 fresh lime leaves, torn
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 ounces shredded coconut
- plainly boiled cooked rice
- green vegetables
- Combine the coriander, cumin, fennel, turmeric, pepper, paprika and sugar in a bowl.
- Put the lemon grass, onions, garlic, candlenuts, chilies and galangal in a blender and purée until very smooth.
- Dry-fry the shredded coconut without any oil until golden brown. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan large enough to take the chicken pieces in a single layer. Add the puréed spices and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring and turning to coat with the spices.
- Stir in the dry spices, then add the lime leaves, shrimp paste, coconut milk and salt to taste. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded coconut. Cover tightly and simmer over low heat for another 20 minutes without removing the lid. Serve with rice and plenty of vegetables.