Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Courtesy Saveur Magazine
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup frozen artichoke heart
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons chives, minced
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and let stand for 2 hours.
- After about 1 hour peel potatoes, halve lengthwise and cut into long thin slices. Wash well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Rinse eggplant and squeeze out the water.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown bacon or pancetta in a medium skillet then remove from pan.
- Brown chicken for 30 seconds on a side and remove from pan.
- And cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Add artichoke to skillet and cook until golden around the edges, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer artichokes to a bowl.
- Deglaze skillet with wine and stock an boil down until it’s a syrupy glaze. Scrape into the bowl with artichokes.
- Add chicken, chives, thyme, 1 tbl of lemon juice. Season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and toss lightly to mix. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat 2 tbl oil in skillet. Add eggplant an cover, cook for about 10 minutes. Add sugar and slowly cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Add parsley and garlic for another 5-8 minutes. Set aside on paper towels to absorb excess fat.
- In the same skillet add some olive oil and working in batches add potatoes and cook until just pliable, 2-3 minutes.
- Place about 1/3 of potatoes overlapping in a buttered 9 inch baking dish. Cover with chicken pancetta, artichokes and eggplant. Arrange remaining potatoes on top and cover with a sheet of foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for 30 more minutes. Brush top with butter and place under broiler for 1-2 minutes.