1/3 Photos of Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuit Topping
2 hrs 20 mins
Here's another great recipe from Jeff Smith, The Frugal Gourmet that says "This is an oldie and goodie. The biscuit topping puffs up and provides you with a whole meal in a wonderful form. If you don't want to make your own biscuit dough, you can use good old Bisquick." I've added a few things to make it my own. My entire family loves this recipe - even those that say they don't like pot pies. This is great dish to prepare and share with friends or family that is need of some good old comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil, for pan frying
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (fresh if you can)
- 2 cups chicken soup base (or make broth from the bones as directed below) or 2 cups canned chicken broth (or make broth from the bones as directed below)
- 4 tablespoons butter, with
- 4 tablespoons flour, cooked together to form a roux
- 1/2 lb mushroom, sliced and lightly sauteed in
- butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- biscuit dough
- 1Place the chicken in 2 quart saucepan and add enough water to barely cover.
- 2Bring to boil and then turn down the heat to simmer.
- 3Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- 4Allow the chicken to cool in the liquid.
- 5Take the chicken from the pot, reserving the liquid, and remove the skin and bones.
- 6Cut the meat in 1/2-inch cubes, cover and set aside (you can do this the day before if you wish).
- 7Place the bones in the cooking liquid and add the dry herbs. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. This will provide you with the cooking broth.
- 8Heat a frying pan and add a bit of butter or oil. Saute the onion, celery and carrots until they just being to brown. In saucepan add browned vegetables, parsley and 2 cups of chicken stock.
- 9Prepare the roux and bring the vegetables and stock to a simmer. Thicken with the roux. Blend the sauce with the chicken meat, sauteed mushrooms and peas.
- 10Season with salt and pepper and place in a deep 2 quart baking dish.
- 11Top the mixture with the hard boiled egg slices.
- 12Prepare your favorite Biscuit Dough and roll out enough to make a lid for the casserole pan- approximately 1/4" think, unbaked.
- 13Bake in pre-heated 425º oven approximately 20 minutes, or until the top is high and lightly browned.
- 14*I like to use Melanie's Southern Biscuits for the topper. They do not rise too much and it's perfect amount for a 2 quart casserole dish.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuit Topping
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.8
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 203.0 mg
- Sodium 491.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 31.7 g