I love chicken, pasta, roasted garlic, roasted onions and...well, this was the result! Choose a pasta that holds sauce well like small shells, bowties, penne or spirals...or a combination! (NOTE: We prefer serving this dish somewhere between room temperature and warm, which is what it becomes when mixed together.) Time estimate does not include chilling, which isn't necessary, but does allow the flavors to blend better.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry or 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 8 -10 ounces pasta
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 head garlic, roasted and minced (sugarpea's Roasted Garlic Paste highly recommended)
- 15 -20 white pearl onions, peeled, quartered and sections mostly separated (you can also use frozen pearl onions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dill, dried and crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram, dried and crushed
- 1⁄3 teaspoon savory, leaves dried and crushed (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup green beans (optional) or 2⁄3 cup peas, cooked (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Gently mix pearl onions and olive oil, adding salt and pepper to taste. (If using frozen pearl onions, defrost and cut in half first.) Roast in single layer at 350° for 30 minutes or until browned. (I like mine quite dark and crispy!) Stir once midway through cooking time. Remove and mix in roasted garlic.
- Season each chicken breast with 1/2 teaspoon each of curry powder and cumin. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil with the remaining curry powder and cumin over high heat. Cook chicken breasts until lightly browned. Add cooking sherry or rice wine and cover, cooking for 2 more minutes. Remove chicken from pan, slice into bitesize pieces and set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente in water with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil. Drain and set aside.
- In medium bowl, stir mayonnaise, yogurt, onions, garlic, mustard, salt, savory, dill, marjoram and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well blended. Add pasta, chicken, green beans or peas and gently toss until well coated. You may want to add the dressing a little at a time to suit your taste.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours. (see note in description).
- About 30 minutes before serving, remove salad from refrigerator. Spoon into a lettuce lined bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Mmmmmm, man, this was good. I threw caution to the wind and used green beans AND peas. Oh, and some of the previous night's leftover grilled zucchini and red bell pepper. I agree,Sandi, warm to room temp is the most flavorful way to enjoy this one-dish meal. I may never again make dressing for a pasta dish without roasted garlic. It was positively luscious.