Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In 'From a Southern Oven' by Jean Anderson
Make and share this Chicken (Or Turkey) and Dressing Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups bread cubes, 1/2-inch (8-10 slices firm-textured white bread)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken (rotisserie or left-over roasted) or 4 cups turkey (rotisserie or left-over roasted)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spritz shallow 2-quart casserole or baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Toss bread cubes with sage, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and celery, and cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add to bread mixture.
- Lightly beat 1 egg with 1/2 cup broth in a small bowl; add to bread mixture, and toss well.
- Pat bread mixture in even layer over bottom of casserole, slide onto middle oven rack, and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes until beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining broth and flour in a medium saucepan until smooth.
- Add remaining butter and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until consistency of light cream.
- Lightly whisk second egg in small bowl, blend in about 1/2 cup hot thickened sauce, then stir back into pan.
- Bring just to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Taste for salt and pepper, adjusting as needed, then fold in chicken.
- Spoon chicken mixture over dressing in casserole and sprinkle with parsley.
- Slide onto middle oven rack and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes longer, until bubbly and beginning to brown.
- Serve hot with a simply seasoned green vegetable--asparagus, snap beans, or broccoli.