Recipe by Jackiemumof3
I used to make this with home made noodles insted of dumplings but there are heaps of chicken noodle soup recipes. It takes a bit of time but it is worth it. This is delicious served with heaps of crusty bread.
- 3 skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped carrot
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chopped sweet potato
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 small leek, washed and chopped
- 1 small turnip, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup of tepid water
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- On a medium heat melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large pan add the chicken and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to one side then add the rest of the butter to the pan. Add all the vegetables and salt. reduce the heat to low and saute the vegetables for at least 10 minutes, stirring often to stop them burning. (add a little more butter if needed). This draws out all the vegetable flavours.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the bay leaves, thyme, builion cubes, pepper and water.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for twenty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 150. Remove the soup from the pan and place in an oven proof dish with a tight fitting lid. place the soup in the oven for one hour.
- In a bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder and parsley. mix gently, add the butter in bits, cut in until the mixture is coarse and grainy.
- Stir in the milk and water with a fork until the mixture comes together.
- Divide the dough into about 16 small dumplings. Then roll each dumpling into balls.
- After the soup has been in the oven for one hour remove from the oven, discard the 3 bay leaves, taste to check seasoning then add the dumplings. cover the soup and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and bake in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Enjoy with crusty bread.