Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped, fresh
- For Dumplings:.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and pepper together.
- Mix shortening in flour with fingers until well mixed.
- Add the beaten egg and milk.
- Stir until it forms a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for about a minute until smooth. Cut in half.
- On a floured surface, roll each half as thin as you wish.
- Cut with a about 1 inch wide.
- Cut the dough again into 2 inch pieces.
- Let dry for 30 minutes to 8 hours. I like 3 hours.
- For Chicken:.
- Put chicken breast in a stock pot.
- Add chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 30 - 40 minutes, until done.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Dice the chicken once its warm enough to handle.
- To broth, add parsley and bring broth to a boil.
- Add dumplings one at a time.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add chicken.
- Cook a little longer to thicken and it will also continue to thicken a little as they cool.
- Remove them from heat once it is at the desired thickness.