Easy Chicken & Biscuit Dumplings
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- Place chicken broth, cooked chicken (add more for a really hearty meal!) and poultry seasoning in a large dutch oven. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low. Taste the broth after 5 minutes and see if you need more poultry seasoning. It really depends on how your chicken was cooked initially.
- While the chicken is simmering in the broth, place the flour in the center of a plate.
- Open the biscuits (make sure they are not the "flaky" kind -- more the homestyle or buttermilk type), and flatten each one to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick. Then dredge the biscuits through the flour. This will thicken your broth and make for a really good gravy for your chicken and dumplings. You might want to add some salt and pepper and poultry seasoning to your flour. It all depends on how your chicken was initially seasoned.
- Make sure your chicken and broth is boiling. If not, turn the heat up on your stove until it boils.
- Then take each biscuit and tear into bite size pieces and drop into the broth. Stir it occasionally so that the pieces do not stick together.
- Once all the biscuits are torn up and are placed in the dutch oven, lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the "dumplings" are tender. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe got RAVE reviews from my family. They just loved it as I knew they would. It's a true comfort meal for a cold winter's day. I used a rotisserie chicken which was perfectly seasoned to give the broth wonderful flavor. I used Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits. The whole meal came together quickly and it is a very satisfying meal. I couldn't resist adding sliced carrots, celery and chopped onion to get some veggies in there. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe breezermom. It's a true keeper.
When I tagged this I had no plans to stray from the recipes path. However the more I looked at the fat and sugar content I realized that I really needed to trim the numbers. For that reason I don't feel that I can give stars. The purchased biscuits are very high in fat so I used Recipe #55564 (which I always keep on hand) to make the dumplings. I added garlic powder and Italian herbs to the biscuit mix. For the chicken I used a raw breast (for 2 servings) cut into larger cubes. I added onion to the broth and dropped the dumplings in as soon as the chicken was in the broth and back to a boil. When there was 3 mins to go I added some veggies to make a full meal in a bowl. I loved the bowl of comfort food that was still chicken and dumplings but with less fat. My apologies for not keeping with your recipe breezermom, I know that it would be yummy as written. Made for Holiday Tag.