Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a great pate recipe! I have made it with dried cranberries and added 1/3 cup chopped pistachio nuts. Yummy!
- 1⁄4 cup cognac or 1⁄4 cup other brandy
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried tart cherry
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 lb chicken liver, trimmed, drained well
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh sage
- 24 slices baguette
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- To make the pâté:.
- In a small, covered bowl, soak the cherries in the brandy overnight at room temperature.
- Then drain cherries, pressing out brandy, and reserve cherries and brandy separately.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring often, about 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds, and then add the livers.
- Sprinkle with salt, allspice and pepper.
- Cook about 2 minutes, turning livers as needed.
- Add reserved brandy and increase heat to high.
- Cook until livers are just done, and brandy/juice has cooked down until pan is almost dry, about 1½ to 2 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat and place mixture in a food processor.
- Process until smooth, then add reserved cherries (and nuts) and pulse just enough to mix — not to chop them.
- Pack pâté in a 2-cup crock or pâté mold.
- Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill pâté at least 4 hours, can be prepared up to 3 days before serving.
- Serve with Sage Toast.
- To make Sage Toast:.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and sage in a very small pan until just warmed.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes to infuse sage flavour.
- Lay out baguette slices on a baking sheet and lightly brush slices with the oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp.