Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Southern-inspired dish complete with a rich onion-flavored gravy. Serve this dish with mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce. Recipe is from my "Delicious and Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes" cookbook.
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 1360.77 g chicken pieces (skin on breasts and skinless legs and thighs)
- 6 onions, sliced paper thin
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black peppercorns, cracked
- 2.46 ml dried thyme leaves
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 283.49 g can condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 bay leaf
- 354.88 ml green peas, thawed if frozen
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, in batches, and brown lightly on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to pan and cook, stirring, until softened and just beginning to turn brown. Add salt, peppercorns, and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over mixture, stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth and bay leaf and cook, stirring until mixture thickens.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 hours, until juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork. Stir in peas and buttermilk. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, until peas are cooked. Discard bay leaf.