Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Try this for a tasty all-in-one baked dish.
- 6 kg whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon dripping
- 2 bunches spring onions
- 100 g carrots, sliced
- 100 g butter, melted
- 100 g fresh peas
- 600 ml boiling chicken stock
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 450 g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Use only white part of the spring onions and slice lengthways in half.
- Preheat the oven to 210C/gas 6.
- Joint the chicken into 8 pieces. Heat the dripping in a frying pan, add the chicken and colour on both sides to seal – you may have to do this in batches. Remove from the pan and put in an ovenproof casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan, melt 25g of the butter over a medium heat. Tip in the carrots and spring onions and cook without colouring for about 3-5 minutes. Scatter the carrots, spring onions, peas and crushed garlic over the chicken. Pour on the hot stock and season.
- Coat the potatoes with 50g of the melted butter and place half the potatoes over the chicken to make a level topping; season to taste. Carefully lay the rest of the potatoes decoratively on top.
- Brush with the remaining melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 180C/gas 4. Cook for a further hour, brushing with butter regularly. If the potatoes begin to brown too much, cover with kitchen foil.
- Remove the hot pot from the oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with cold pickled red cabbage.