Recipe by Pneuma
This is a Romanian chicken dish that we love having with either bread or rice. DH would whip up a lot to last us for days so we don't need to cook much and we never get bored with it. Dried spices are used here to speed up preparation time and preparation time here assumes that the chicken has already been cut.
Top Review by mersaydees
This is comfort food! It's very pretty and tasty. I added an additional 1/2 cup chicken stock to make it more saucy for the rice. Also, since I used chicken breasts, I didn't plan on it cooking as long as if I'd used a cut up chicken or parts, so I cooked it about 15 minutes once everything was added. It has great flavors! This is a great and healthy family style one dish meal! Thanks, Pneuma! Made for PRMR.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 kg chicken piece, or cut-ups
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 2 carrots, chopped into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oil in large wok or casserole pan until hot enough to cook.
- add onions and garlic stir frying 1 min until soft.
- add bell pepper and stir fry for 1 minute
- add chicken cut ups and brown both sides 10-13 minutes.
- add rest of ingredients, stir fry for 1 min then cover and cook for 40-45 mins until the chicken looks cooked and there's no blood when pierced by a fork near the bones.
- garnish with thyme or rosemary (optional) and serve with bread or rice.