Recipe by mylittlestar
Start to Finish: 45 minutes From MSN: http://lifestyle.msn.com/foodandentertaining/recipes/articlebhg.aspx?cp-documentid=7084588 I haven't tried this yet and am adding the recipe to try later.
Top Review by Sandi (From CA)
Very, very good! The flavors all went so well together. I added an additional garlic clove and served it with Recipe #407228. This will be made again. Thank you, mylittlestar!
- 10 inches flour tortillas (Qty 6)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup bottled salsa
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (2 ozs.)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons oregano
- cooking oil (for frying)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- purchased guacamole (optional)
- bottled salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- cilantro leaf (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in oven about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a large saucepan, cook onion and garlic in the 1 teaspoon hot oil until tender. Stir in chicken, black beans, 1/2 cup bottled salsa, the cheese, and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- 3. For each flauta, spoon about 1/2 cup filling across each warm tortilla about 1-1/2 inches from one edge. Roll up tortillas as tightly as possible. Secure with wooden toothpicks.
- 4. In a very large, deep skillet, heat 1-1/2 inches of cooking oil to 365 degrees F. Fry flautas, two at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep fried flautas warm in a 300 degrees F oven while frying remaining flautas.
- 5. To serve, remove toothpicks. Halve flautas crosswise. If desired, serve with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and cilantro.
- 6. Baked Flautas: Prepare filling and shape flautas as directed. Place flautas on a large baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Serve as directed.
- 7. Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare filling and shape flautas as directed. Cover; chill for up to 24 hours. Fry or bake as directed. Makes 6 flautas.