Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 (7 ounce) double boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices deli ham, thin
- 16 slices gruyere or 16 slices swiss cheese, thin
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the chicken between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
- Using the flat side of a meat mallet, gently pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Take care not to pound too hard because the meat may tear or create holes.
- Lay 2 slices of cheese on each breast, followed by 2 slices of ham, and 2 more of cheese; leaving a 1/2-inch margin on all sides to help seal the roll.
- Tuck in the sides of the breast and roll up tight like a jellyroll.
- Squeeze the log gently to seal.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper; spread out on waxed paper or in a flat dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with thyme, kosher salt, pepper, and oil.
- The oil will help the crust brown.
- Beat together the eggs and water, the mixture should be fluid.
- Lightly dust the chicken with flour, then dip in the egg mixture.
- Gently coat in the bread crumbs.
- Carefully transfer the roulades to a baking pan and bake for 20 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Cut into pinwheels before serving.
Couldn't get the chicken to flatten as directed. I think it would be easier to just cut the side of the breast and stuff with ingredients. Seal with a toothpick, and coat as directed. Good taste thou.
I had to change a few things. First, I used cube steak as I didn't have any chicken on hand. I didn't pound it as it was already quite thin. Next, I didn't have Swiss cheese so I used string cheese from my kid's lunchbox. I didn't have ham so I used spinach instead. Now, I did roll it up as per the recipe, that was great! Finally, I didn't have thyme so I skipped entirely. I decided to cook it on the stove top as my oven was broken. I paired it with tater tots (heated in the microwave) and beef jerky. Possibly the best Chicken Cordon Bleu I've ever had! Just kidding. Make recipe exactly as stated, and it's a wonderful dish! 5 stars, delicious!
This is the best Cordon Bleu recipe I've found. It was delicious. I followed your recipe to the letter and it came out great. Thanks so much for sharing.