Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This has been my favourite post Thanksgiving and Christmas leftover turkey casserole since my Mom first made it in the 1970's. I usually use the broth from the boiled turkey bones. Or if time is short I sometimes use tinned chicken broth and pre chopped and cooked frozen chicken. The original recipe had crushed potato chips on top, but I never liked it that way so I just skip them altogether.
- 5 -6 lbs chicken
- 1 (12 ounce) package medium egg noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups saved chicken broth
- 3 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can button mushroom, drained
- 1 large cooking onion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 -3 teaspoon curry powder (according to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- Boil chicken, drain and save broth.
- Remove chicken from bones and chop up meat.
- Cook noodles as per package directions, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Combine chicken and noodles in large casserole dish.
- Combine all other ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
- Add sauce to chicken and noodles.
- Cover and bake at 350F for 1/2 hour.
- Then decrease heat to 300F and bake for 15 minutes.
This was comfort food at its best. Prepared this for fall '07 PAC and this is a recipe I will definitely be preparing again. Thanks for posting.