Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
i used to make this all the time when i lived by myself, it's one of the first meals i used to make when i just starting out on my own. it makes a great authentic tasting mexican dish. it is orginally from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, with a few variations. i had to refer back to it, because i am more of a "dump" cook, and nolonger use the measurements when preparing this.
- 8 (6 inch) tortillas
- 2 whole chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped, seperated
- chopped tomato
- chopped olive
- chopped chili pepper (any kind, depending on the degree of hot you can tolerate)
- heat tortillas, in microwave until soft.
- in a saucepan cook half of the onions, garlic, cilantro, in the butter until onion is tender.
- mix the flour into the sour cream and then add to the onion mixture, stir in the broth and chili peppers.
- stir until thickened.
- remove from heat and add 1/2 of the cheese.
- for the filling, stir 1/2 cup of the sauce into chicken, add cilantro.
- place about 1/4 cup of filling in each tortilla; roll up.
- arrange rolls, seam side down.
- place in a lightly greased 12x71/2x2inch bakiing pan, top with remaining sauce.
- bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- sprinkle remaining cheese.
- and return to oven to bake an additional 5 minute.
- remove from oven sprinkle with olives, tomatoes, and green onions.
- let stand 10 minutes.
These burritos were delicious! Made just as the recipe tells only difference I omitted the tomatoes. Our family doesn't do tomatoes. Thanks bratty 1
These burritos were WONDERFUL!!! Unfortunately, I didn't have any fresh cilantro, so I had to use dried. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly and they came out perfect. I served with corn and Spanish rice. My dad and I both LOVED it!! (Although between the two of us, it only made 2 servings/lol) Next time I'll double it, so we can have some leftovers:) Definitely a keeper here!! Thank you, bratty 1! ~Manda
Bratty! These are fabulous! Very easy to prepare. I simmered 2 boneless chicken breasts with about 5 cloves of slightly crushed garlic and 1/2 an onion, and then shredded. The sauce was very easy to prepare--I sauteed the whites of the green onions with 1 TBSP of dried cilantro, because I had no fresh. The sauce wouldn't thicken after adding the sour cream/flour mixture and the cheese, so I mixed a little cornstarch and water and threw that in. All was good. I added about 3/4 to 1 tsp of ground cumin and about 1/2 tsp of chili powder to the chicken/sauce mixture. These were really easy to roll up, and the flavor was fantastic. My husband said they were better than his favorite restaurant burritos. He had to have seconds. Thanks for such a great recipe bratty!