Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Chicken doesn't get better than this.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fontina or 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Place chicken between 2 sheets wax paper.
- Flatten to 1/4 inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Dredge chicken lightly in flour.
- Place 4 pieces at a time in 2 tbs of melted butter in a large skillet.
- Cook over low heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Place chicken in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking pan, overlapping edges.
- Repeat procedure with remaining chicken, adding 2 tbs.
- butter, reserve remaining drippings.
- Sauté mushrooms in the remaining 1/4 cup butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over chicken.
- Stir wine& chicken broth into pan drippings in skillet.
- Simmer 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Spoon sauce evenly over chicken.
- Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- Combine cheeses, and sprinkle over chicken.
- Bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Service with rice or your favorite pasta.
This dish definitely deserves more stars - I love the mix of flavors - a nice dish for a week night or a special dinner. Used mozzarella this time, but would like to try with the fontina next. Thanks!
I found this recipe years ago in Southern Living and use it often. It's one of my favorite dishes. My family doesn't like mushrooms, so i go easy with them on their chicken, and then go heavier with them on mine, and have them as myh side dish. i didn't have Marsala, and just used a good, dry red wine.
This was great. I only cooked half of what the recipe said, and then people wished there were leftovers.