I found this great recipe on the back of my box of Quaker Quick Barley. It goes together quickly and has a wonderful taste. It's healthy too!
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced, undrained (you can use seasoned tomatoes)
- 1 (16 ounce) jarof your favorite salsa
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth (I like to use the reduced sodium)
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn or 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn mixed with chopped peppers, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and diced (3 cups)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients (tomatoes through cumin).
- Over high heat bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, corn and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- If upon standing the chili becomes too thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency.
- If desired, top each bowl of chili with a little shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.