1/2 Photos of Chicken Barley Chili
I found this great recipe on the back of my box of Quaker Quick Barley. It goes together quickly and has a wonderful taste. It's healthy too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced, undrained (you can use seasoned tomatoes)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth (I like to use the reduced sodium)
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn or 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn mixed with chopped peppers, undrained
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked and diced (3 cups)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 1In a large saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients (tomatoes through cumin).
- 2Over high heat bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low.
- 3Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add beans, corn and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil.
- 5Cover and reduce heat to low.
- 6Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- 7If upon standing the chili becomes too thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency.
- 8If desired, top each bowl of chili with a little shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Barley Chili
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 11
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.3
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 482.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 20.1 g