Recipe by MTpockets
A lower fat, healthier version that's different than the same old ground beef, tomato based chili. Although I think it does taste similar. Proof that eating healthier doesn't mean eating without flavor! If you don't wan't to use chicken you could use turkey instead. A co-worker of mine gave me this recipe and I was a bit skeptical but I tried it and thought it was delicious so I thought I'd share!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (diced into 1 inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans (AKA White Kidney Beans)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, Chopped
- 1 large onion, Chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- salt (optional)
- shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- low-fat sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, add olive oil (or butter), onions and diced chicken and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle 3 Tbsp Flour into chicken mixture and mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to blend well.
- Bring heat to a boil, reduce to a simmer cover and cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes or until chili reaches desired consistency.
- NOTE: Servings are approximate but recipe could be doubled if desired.