1/2 Photos of Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup
1 hr 40 mins
This delicious soup combines chicken and sweet potatoes with the heat of red chilies and the tang of tomatoes. You can adjust the amount of red chili you use, either up or down depending on how much heat you want. I, myself, don't like things too spicy. Serve with hot buttered cornbread or crusty rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 bone in chicken breast halves, with skin
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red chile, seeded and minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
- one 14 1/2 ounce can chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F/200*C. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper and place skin side down in a roasting pan.
- 2Cook 30 to 35 minutes or until just done. Juices should run clear.
- 3Remove from the pan and cool until easy to handle. Remove the skin and discard. Pull the meat from the bones and shred into bite sized pieces.
- 4Melt the butter and olive oil together and add the onions and shallots. Cook and stir about 15 minutes until softened. Add the bell pepper and red chilli and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes longer. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, stirring.
- 5Add the chicken broth, shredded chicken, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, dried marjoram leaves, bay leaves, salt and pepper and stir until combines. Bring to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, about 1 hour, until the potatoes are tender and flavours have developed. Skim any fat off the top as it cooks.
- 6Discard the bay leaves. Taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve in hot bowls with a dollop of sour cream on top of each. Sprinkle fresh herbs on top.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.1
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 86.9 mg
- Sodium 2806.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 29.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: