This is an easy recipe that has never let me down. I sometimes use shrimp instead of chicken, which is another tasty option. Just be sure to add the shrimp near the end of cooking time so it doesn't overcook. You might want to start with less than the recommended 1/8 teaspoon cayenne if you are very sensitive to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces frozen okra
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1/2 lb hot smoked turkey sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1Thaw the okra and slice the sausage into 1/2-inch slices.
- 2Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- 3Heat oil in a large Dutch oven.
- 4Add the sausage and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the chicken, sear both sides, and remove.
- 6Add the onion and the celery to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- 8Drain the tomatoes, reserving the liquid, and add to the pan.
- 9Break up the tomatoes with a fork or your cooking spoon.
- 10Stir in the rice, black pepper, cayenne, oregano, and thyme.
- 11Measure the reserved tomato juice and enough chicken stock to equal 2 cups liquid and add to the pan along with the chicken.
- 12Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 13Lower heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 14Add thawed okra, recover and cook until the rice is tender, about ten minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya with Okra
Serving Size: 1 (543 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.5
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 107.6 mg
- Sodium 963.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 43.2 g