Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an easy recipe that has never let me down. I sometimes use shrimp instead of chicken, which is another tasty option. Just be sure to add the shrimp near the end of cooking time so it doesn't overcook. You might want to start with less than the recommended 1/8 teaspoon cayenne if you are very sensitive to it.
- 10 ounces frozen okra
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage or 1⁄2 lb hot smoked turkey sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- Thaw the okra and slice the sausage into 1/2-inch slices.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the sausage and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, sear both sides, and remove.
- Add the onion and the celery to the pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the liquid, and add to the pan.
- Break up the tomatoes with a fork or your cooking spoon.
- Stir in the rice, black pepper, cayenne, oregano, and thyme.
- Measure the reserved tomato juice and enough chicken stock to equal 2 cups liquid and add to the pan along with the chicken.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add thawed okra, recover and cook until the rice is tender, about ten minutes.