Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This hearty casserole is very filling and uses your summer vegetables. Just get out your skillet and you have a one dish meal just minutes away.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Coat the bottom of a large, heavy bottom saucepan with the vegetable oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and zucchini to the pan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and turn the heat up to medium high.
- Stir until the chicken is cooked lightly on all sides.
- Add the tomatoes, rice, chicken broth and salt.
- Bring the broth to a boil and then adjust the heat to maintain a slow simmer.
- Let the casserole simmer until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in the pepper and the parsley and serve.
Very nice and easy. All this requires is a bit of chopping, and then it can be left to cook. I feel like it was still a bit liquidy, and may use less chicken stock next time--but the taste was still great!
This combination was great. My DH declared it, "some kinda good!" I used this recipe to use up some leftovers - I had some cooked rice, cooked chicken, some already chopped tomatoes and some cooked broccoli (which I substituted for the zucchini). Since the rice and chicken were already cooked I only needed about half the amount of chicken stock and it was all ready in just a few minutes. I added a little basil and was expecting that it might need something more, but it was lovely just as it was. Thanks for posting!