1/1 Photo of Chicken and Noodle Stew
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is a flavorful chicken stew from Cook it Light: Pasta, Rice and Beans. Note the wide range on the amount of stock to be used. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup chicken stock - I ended up using 2 cans (about 4 cups). Maybe my tomatoes weren't juicy enough. Anyway, to cook the noodles in the stew, it needed more than 1/2 cup of stock - cooking the noodles separately would change the amount of stock needed. When I made this, I realized I was out of peas and put in corn, which worked fine, but peas would have been good. I'm sure other vegetables would substitute nicely as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 small bell pepper (red, green, pick a color!)
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2-4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1/4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley (I used about a tablespoon dried)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1Remove visible fat from chicken and cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss well with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- 2Warm oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken and stir fry just till chicken is no longer pink.
- 3Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to low.
- 4Cook onion and mushrooms in same skillet over low heat, covered, till onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 5Add carrots, bell pepper, tomatoes, wine, stock*, tarragon and thyme and continue to cook, covered until the carrot can be easily pierced with a fork (about 15 minutes).
- 6*With the stock, start with about 1/2 cup to a cup and watch to see if you need more - I had to keep adding it).
- 7Add noodles to the vegetable mixture and cook, covered for about 10-15 more minutes (or till noodles are tender - either cook noodles ahead of time or keep adding stock as needed. if noodles are precooked, just heat through after adding to the vegetables).
- 8Add chicken, parsley and peas and cook till heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Noodle Stew
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 76.5 mg
- Sodium 329.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 26.8 g