Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a flavorful chicken stew from Cook it Light: Pasta, Rice and Beans. Note the wide range on the amount of stock to be used. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup chicken stock - I ended up using 2 cans (about 4 cups). Maybe my tomatoes weren't juicy enough. Anyway, to cook the noodles in the stew, it needed more than 1/2 cup of stock - cooking the noodles separately would change the amount of stock needed. When I made this, I realized I was out of peas and put in corn, which worked fine, but peas would have been good. I'm sure other vegetables would substitute nicely as well.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 small bell pepper (red, green, pick a color!)
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2-4 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley (I used about a tablespoon dried)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Remove visible fat from chicken and cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss well with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Warm oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken and stir fry just till chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook onion and mushrooms in same skillet over low heat, covered, till onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, tomatoes, wine, stock*, tarragon and thyme and continue to cook, covered until the carrot can be easily pierced with a fork (about 15 minutes).
- *With the stock, start with about 1/2 cup to a cup and watch to see if you need more - I had to keep adding it).
- Add noodles to the vegetable mixture and cook, covered for about 10-15 more minutes (or till noodles are tender - either cook noodles ahead of time or keep adding stock as needed. if noodles are precooked, just heat through after adding to the vegetables).
- Add chicken, parsley and peas and cook till heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
I thought this was fantastic! I did use some leftover cooked chicken breast I had one hand ofr ease. I just cooked the mushrooms and onions with the seasonings and some added minced garlic. In place of tarragon I used marjoram and it was a wonderful substitution. I ended up using the 4 cups of stock, plus 1 can of chicken broth. The latter I added after added the veg ( I used chopped brocolli) as the broth was nearly cooked away. This is a fantastic light stew and I plan on making it often. I also used 1/2 of an 8 oz can tomato sauce instead of the diced tomato. which is just a personal preference.
We made a nice lunch of this stew on Sunday. Went really well with a loaf of crusty sourdough bread I bought. I also added some swiss chard that I had frozen.
Nice hot stew for a week night! I used chicken breast, canned diced tomatoes and egg noodles which needed to be cooked in liquid. I ended up using 2 cups of canned chicken broth. Thanks, pattikay in L.A.