Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is a flavorful chicken stew from Cook it Light: Pasta, Rice and Beans. Note the wide range on the amount of stock to be used. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup chicken stock - I ended up using 2 cans (about 4 cups). Maybe my tomatoes weren't juicy enough. Anyway, to cook the noodles in the stew, it needed more than 1/2 cup of stock - cooking the noodles separately would change the amount of stock needed. When I made this, I realized I was out of peas and put in corn, which worked fine, but peas would have been good. I'm sure other vegetables would substitute nicely as well.
Top Review by Doc's Mom
Very nice! I used 4 cups of chicken stock because I added a 12 oz package of egg noddles. Did not use bell pepper (personal preference). I used fresh tarragon and thyme, I think it makes a difference :)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 small bell pepper (red, green, pick a color!)
- 4 roma tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2-4 cup chicken stock
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup packed chopped fresh parsley (I used about a tablespoon dried)
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove visible fat from chicken and cut into 1-inch cubes. Toss well with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Warm oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken and stir fry just till chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook onion and mushrooms in same skillet over low heat, covered, till onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, tomatoes, wine, stock*, tarragon and thyme and continue to cook, covered until the carrot can be easily pierced with a fork (about 15 minutes).
- *With the stock, start with about 1/2 cup to a cup and watch to see if you need more - I had to keep adding it).
- Add noodles to the vegetable mixture and cook, covered for about 10-15 more minutes (or till noodles are tender - either cook noodles ahead of time or keep adding stock as needed. if noodles are precooked, just heat through after adding to the vegetables).
- Add chicken, parsley and peas and cook till heated through, about 3-5 minutes.