Cook1 hr 10 mins
A chunky soup that makes a delicious high protein lunchtime dish.
Make and share this Chicken and Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, whites only, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup brown lentils
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, diced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- freshly chopped thyme, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the carrot, onion, leek, celery and mushrooms; cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the wine and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the thyme and bay leaf; reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the lentils and continue cooking, covered, for another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the lentils are just tender, stirring the soup from time to time.
- Stir in the diced chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook until just heated through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot, garnished with freshly chopped thyme.
This was very tasty I did add a Tsp of freshly grated ginger to it.
Very easy, very good! I omitted the butter and threw the whole thing in the crockpot to cook all day. It's much like a "traditional" chicken soup recipe, but the lentils add extra nutrition and hardiness. Thank you!
Oh, no. Interesting, but this isn't how Germans would do it. You need sliced frankfurter, or sausage, and carrot.