Prep 10 mins
Cook 58 mins
Chicken and Dumplings
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens, cut up
- 1 (16 ounce) jar green chili salsa
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb fresh corn masa dough
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄8 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook bacon in 6-quart stockpot on medium heat 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan; drain on paper towels. Remove drippings from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings for later use.
- Add chicken, in batches; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned on both sides. Return all chicken to pan. Stir in salsa and broth. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on medium-low heat 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix masa dough, cheese and reserved bacon drippings; shape into 18 balls, using about 1 tablespoon of the dough for each.
- Add dough balls to chicken mixture; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until dumplings and chicken are done (165°F). Remove from heat. Stir in bacon and cilantro.
- KITCHEN TIPS:.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve with a crisp green salad tossed with your favorite salad dressing to round out the meal.
- Substitute: Dry corn masa is a great substitute for the fresh masa in this tasty recipe. Just mix 3/4 cup dry masa with enough water (about 1/2 cup) to make soft dough.
- Special Extra: Stir in 2 cups cooked green beans with the dough balls.
What a wonderful twist on chicken and dumplings - not the creamy dish you are accustomed to, but one that will make your tastebuds jump! Note to myself - use a bit less salsa. I used a salsa verde that is made in the deli of my local Mexican market, and it's quite hot - we ate slowly. The dumplings are really good, and if you are making enough for two days, the masa will stay nice in the fridge for fresh dumplings the next day. One quibble - amount and type of cheese not noted in the recipe. I've made this twice, used white cheddar once, queso fresco last night, about 1/4 cup I think. I myself would not bother with the bacon next time, it did not do much for me. I've made this with fresh chicken thighs and also with leftover turkey, which shortened the prep time somewhat.