Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Eating Chicken & Dumplings with your sweety...sitting in front of the TV. It could work...
For the stew
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
For the dumplings
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Note: Make the dumplings just before adding them to the stew.
- For the stew: Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and cook until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in sherry, scraping up any browned bits, and cook until nearly dry, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in broth and bring to boil. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and tender, about 15 minutes.
- For the dumplings: Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in broth and melted butter until just incorporated.
- Season stew with salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium. Using 2 spoons, drop eight 1-inch dumplings into stew about 1 inch apart. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle peas around dumplings, cover, and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, uncovered, about 10 minutes. Serve.