Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A thick casserole type dish
- 1 cup onion
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 cup cubed cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Saute onions in chicken broth until tender, add flour, salt and pepper. Cook until bubbly. Add two cups of milk. To white sauce, add chicken, veg and cheese. Mix ingredients together and pour into 2 casserole pans.
- Make dumplings:.
- Stir together dry ingredients, cut in flour, add milk.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto chicken mixture.
- Can be frozen now. It freezes nicely To Cook: Thaw completely.
- Cook at 350 for about an hour or until hot and biscuits are done.
Add a handful of chopped celery and you are good to go! Nothing better than home cooking!
While this had a great taste, it was just too much bread. Seems like there needs to be more sauce. It was very easy to make, however, after sauteing onions in the chicken broth (only 1/4 cup) by the time the onions are remotely soft, there is no liquid left. When you add the flour, there is not enough liquid to make anything bubbly as stated in the instructions.I had to add more broth after adding the flour to keep it from burning. I think with some tweaking, this would be better. As it was, it was too much bread and not enough chicken and sauce.
Although I didnt freeze and reheat, we really enjoyed your recipe this evening. The dumplings came out great, and the gravy wonderful and flavorful. A real winner. I will try the recipe and freeze for later use next time-I really like that idea for a ready made winters dinner. Di