Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is great for those chilly winter nights! It is a staple for our house in the winter months.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 cups Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery, and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, pepper, basil, and broth; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for one minute; reduce heat.
- Add peas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in chicken.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- For dumplings, combine Bisquick and basil in a bowl. Stir in milk with a fork until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the casserole. (12 dumplings).
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. Cover and bake another 10 - 15 minutes.
This is comfort food at its best. This recipe is easy to fix and the blended tastes of the chicken, veges, and drop dumplings are fantastic. I added a bit more broth to the mixture before putting it in the oven because mine seemed a bit too thick. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for Fall PAC 2008.
Delicious and really easy! I added some grated carrots for some extra color and completely eliminated the butter and sugar to lower the calories a little bit more. Excellent recipe! Thanks!