Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
My sister grows her own basil. Her casserole is much better than mine!
Make and share this Chicken and Dumpling Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry basil (my sister uses fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups buttermilk biscuit mix
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Lightly grease 13x9x2 baking dish.
- In a large kettle melt butter and saute onions, celery, garlic until tender.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil a minute then add chicken and frozen peas.
- Pour into previously prepared pan.
- For dumplings combine biscuit mix, basil and 2/3 cup milk stir until moistened and use fork to drop dumplings onto casserole (12 dumplings) Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 min.
- cover and bake 10 min more or until dumplings are done.
4 Stars for me. Easy to make and has good flavor. I like my dumplings a little more moist and not so brown/crispy. Next time I'll cover with foil for first 30 minutes of cook time and remove during the last 10 minutes to help dumplings to retain more moisture. I couldn't find buttermilk baking mix, so I used bisquick and used real buttermilk instead of plain milk for the dumplings.
Excellent!! This was a hit with the adults right down to the grandkids. There were no leftovers. Definitely a keeper. I did not have any Bisquick so I whipped up some drop biscuits from scratch, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Thanks so much for posting this, I had been looking for the recipe after tasting a similar dish at a shower several years ago.
Yum, this was very tasty. I would definitely call it chicken and bisquit casserole, as they are not soft and fluffy like dumplings. Next time I would do less salt, as ours was very salty, even though we used fresh made broth with no salt added.