A simple to make oaty cake that is sweet, moist & chewy; or caramel flavoured, hard & crunchy. :-)
- Put the margarine, sugar & golden syrup in saucepan (or microwaveable bowl if using a microwave oven) and heat until it is all liquid.
- Meanwhile line the a square shallow baking tin with greaseproof paper. (about 8-inch tin).
- Mix all the oats into the liquid.
- Put the mixture into the baking tin & press flat.
- Bake at 175 deg C (Gas Mark 4 or about 350 F) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Warning: the timing is tolerant but accuracy in temperature is critical.
- Slice into 8 fingers before it sets but leave in place in tin.
- Leave to cool and set.
- Crunchy Flapjack:.
- The recipe is identical to chewy version but cook at 15 deg (one Gas Mark) hotter.
- Fruit Flapjack:.
- The recipe is identical to above but mix in some raisins and/or sultanas before baking.