Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
When you bite into these rich, chocolate cookies, you'll think it is a brownie!
Top Review by Pawsfurthought
As soon as these were out of the oven, I knew they were a hit. My husband, who is at best ambivalent about chocolate, RAVED! Thanks, kittencal, for another keeper! Soft and gooey, perfect!
- 2⁄3 cup shortening (Crisco is good)
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar, water and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture; beat just until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2-inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes (don't overbake).
- Cool 2 minutes; remove to wire racks.