Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are the "perfect" brownies. fudgy, super chocolatey, and just a little chewy (despite the title they are not overly chewy, but just right) I love these. I usually check them before the lowest cooking time given, they are done in my oven by about 30 min. Source:Fine Cooking Magazine. Notes: (from the recipe) This recipe can be doubled easily; use a 13X9-inch pan and increase the baking time slightly. The recipe gives a range of baking times -- use the shorter time for metal pans, the longer for Pyrex pans.
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, more for the pan
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 1⁄2 ounces flour (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons natural cocoa (not Dutch-processed)
- Position an oven rack on the middle rung.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8-inch square pan, line the pan bottom with parchment (or waxed paper), and then butter the parchment.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, melt the butter and chocolate.
- Remove the pan from the heat; cool slightly.
- Stir in the sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Mix in the eggs, one at a time, stirring each time until blended.
- Add the flour and cocoa; beat until incorporated and the mixture is smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top is uniformly colored with no indentation and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean, with a few moist crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Set the pan on a rack until cool enough to handle.
- Run a paring knife around the inside edge of the pan and then invert the pan onto a flat surface and peel off the parchment.
- Flip the baked brownie back onto the rack to cool completely.
- Cut into squares with a sharp knife.
These are fabulous! They really lived up to the description. I tend to like my desserts extra chocolatey, so I replaced half the butter with chocolate chips. I also added some cinnamon and ginger powder and it worked out great. Thanks for the recipe!