Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Nice, chewy brownies. Great hot out of the oven or cooled! Double for 9x13 pan. Substitute 1/2 c. choc. chips, m&m's, reeses, etc. for nuts! See Chewy Brownie Mix to save you time. This is a adaption of the brownie mix recipe (turned into a single batch).
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 2⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups baking cocoa
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening.
- Add eggs, vanilla and nuts to flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Bake 350 degrees in a greased 8x8 pan 20-25 minutes or until the top looks done (don't overbake -- better a little underbaked).
at first I thought the mix would be way to dry it seemed so crumbly before I baked, but after baking and cooling they are delicious!!
Surely this is a misprint. I made these for our tree trimming party and followed the recipe EXACTLY. They were a disaster - super dry! Where is the liquid? I took them out of the oven after just 20 minutes. (My oven temp. is correct, by the way. I checked with a thermometer.) I was embarrassed and disappointed. I wasted good ingredients on these.
I followed exactly what doleful did...cutting the sugar and using butter rather than shortening! I am an avid "brownie recipe" connoisseur, always searching for a better one and I think my search ends here! Thanks wyojess AND doleful