Recipe by Kendra PeloJoaquin
This a Provencal recipe from the New York Times. I live in WA state where we have Bing Cherries, and I can't wait to try this recipe. New York Times (9.3.03)
Top Review by jesrn2000
Yummy! I was trying to use up some cherries in my frig, and this was the perfect dessert for that! I'm just thinking about another piece tomorrow night with a nice cup of hot tea...great comfort food after work!
- 30 large cherries, about
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, more for sprinkling
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch round glass dish or an 8- to 10-inch ovenproof skillet, preferably nonstick.
- Pit about half the cherries, and arrange them, with unpitted cherries, in dish.
- Combine flour, cornstarch and sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk in eggs, milk and vanilla extract until smooth, but do not overbeat.
- Pour over cherries.
- Sprinkle with a little more sugar and dot with butter; put in oven.
- Bake until puffy and firm, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- When done, let rest on a rack for a few minutes, then invert onto a plate.
- Sprinkle with a little more sugar and serve warm.