Recipe by Bev
Delightful addition to a beautiful brunch or perhaps a light supper with a salad. From Southern Living
Top Review by krp
A real winner from Southern Living magazine. I have made this recipe on many occasions with rave reviews from my guests every time. I even have some friends who regularly hint that it's time for me to make this casserole again. I prep the recipe a day in advance, assemble and bake on the evening of my dinner parties. Only changes are that I use 2 garlic cloves and 1.5 lb. shrimp.
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml regular grits
- 236.59 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided (4 ounces)
- 236.59 ml shredded monterey jack pepper cheese (4 ounces)
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 453.59 g fresh small shrimp, peeled and cooked
- 283.49 g candiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 cups chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in grits.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir together grits, 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add green onions, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir together green onion mixture, grits mixture, shrimp, and next 3 ingredients.
- Pour into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with remaining 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes.