Cook1 hr 10 mins
I adapted this recipe from a Penzeys Spices recipe. The Penzeys recipe had the Cheese as an option but in my book the cheese is a must!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut ham into small cubes and set aside.
- Peel and slice potatoes, put them in a bowl with enough water to cover them.
- Heat the butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft but not brown.
- Add the flour and stir to make a roux.
- Add the milk and stir constantly.
- Once it comes to a gentle boil turn heat down and let the sauce cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionaly.
- Stir in the italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- In a greased 2 quart baking dish put a layer of half the potatoes followed by half the ham.
- Pour half the white sauce followed by half a cup of cheese.
- Make another layer of potatoes and ham and pour the remaining sauce over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining cheese and bake for another 20 minute or until the potatoes are tender.