Recipe by the accidental glutton
This rich & creamy soup is the perfect cure for a cold winter night. Don't be scared off by the long list of ingredients, it's mostly dried herbs and seasonings you already have in your spice drawer.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Lovely soup recipe. Since I don't care for Velveeta cheese, I used old cheddar. I'm also a bit confused as to why such a small amount of cornstarch was being used in such a large recipe. I did however use as stated. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2012. :)
- 1 lb spicy ground pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean hot sausage)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 large yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, brown sausage and break up into pieces. Remove sausage from pot, drain fat & set aside.
- In the same pot, melt the butter and oil together. Add the onion, celery, carrots & garlic and saute until onions are translucent but not browned.
- Stir in the potatoes, dried herbs, chicken stock and sausage. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Turn heat to low and add Velveeta & milk, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Bring soup to a boil and then add cornstarch/water mixture. Remove from heat & stir in sour cream.
- Serve hot & enjoy!