Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This rich & creamy soup is the perfect cure for a cold winter night. Don't be scared off by the long list of ingredients, it's mostly dried herbs and seasonings you already have in your spice drawer.
- 1 lb spicy ground pork sausage (like Jimmy Dean hot sausage)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 large yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In a large stockpot, brown sausage and break up into pieces. Remove sausage from pot, drain fat & set aside.
- In the same pot, melt the butter and oil together. Add the onion, celery, carrots & garlic and saute until onions are translucent but not browned.
- Stir in the potatoes, dried herbs, chicken stock and sausage. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Turn heat to low and add Velveeta & milk, stirring constantly until the cheese is melted.
- Bring soup to a boil and then add cornstarch/water mixture. Remove from heat & stir in sour cream.
- Serve hot & enjoy!
Lovely soup recipe. Since I don't care for Velveeta cheese, I used old cheddar. I'm also a bit confused as to why such a small amount of cornstarch was being used in such a large recipe. I did however use as stated. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2012. :)