Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
When my mom first gave me this recipe, I was pretty skeptical - but it became an instant favorite in our house!! I like it because it is fast and simple to make, inexpensive, and reheats very well. I'll post the ingredients for the original version and offer the healthier alternatives at the end of the recipe.
- In crock pot, combine hash browns, kielbasa, broth and onions. Stir well and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, cut cheese into cubes and stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- We like this soup pretty thick, but if you prefer a thinner soup now is a good time to add some extra broth or milk. Wait until after the cheese has melted to add extra liquid so you can be sure of the consistency.
- Serve hot with crusty bread!
- To make this recipe A LOT healthier, use turkey kielbasa, fat free/low sodium chicken broth, and Light Velveeta. I routinely use these substitutions and the soup still turns out fantastic! If I have the time, I do like to remove the casings from the turkey kielbasa as I think they tend to get a little chewy when cooked all day. Just split them carefully with a knife and peel away the casings before chopping. Enjoy!
This recipe was great. Even with an extra three hours of cooking it still was super! I couldn't get home in time and was worried about what I would find. Held up just perfectly and with a good amount of juice. Added my cubed reduced fat velveeta and wow! Simple and delicious. Could easily substitute smokey ham (even less calories) or bacon. Garnished with some chopped green onion, a sprinkle of shredded cheddar and a small sprinkle of real bacon bits-awesome! I'll be making again! Thanks- Jonesy
Really good! I added Italian seasoning and a bay leaf, per Caroline Cook's suggestion. I also added additional broth at the end. Served with additional grated cheese on top.
NikasMommy: This is soooo tasty and easy. I did add some spices: Itailan Seasonings, freshly ground black pepper, and a Bay Leaf. Yummy crockpot recipe!