Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A cheese-lover's dream sauce!
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream (use 3-1/2 cups for a thinner texture)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to suit taste, I like lots!)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme (or to suit taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese (Swiss is best) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (Swiss is best)
- salt (to taste)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the chopped garlic, thyme, nutmeg and black pepper; cook for 1 minute.
- Add in 1/3 cup flour; whisk/mix for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the cream; bring to a light boil over medium heat stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is thick and bubbly (at this point you may add more cream if you desire a thinner sauce) .
- Reduce the heat to low; add in the grated Parmesan cheese and Swiss cheese; mix well until the cheese are completely melted.
- Season with salt to taste.
Super sauce, I used instead of bechamel with Canneloni. Fantastic. I used a mixture of heels of cheeses that needed to be used. excellent. Thanks for the brilliant posting.
This sauce was the best.creamy,gooey and just wonderful
WONDERFUL! and easy to make, I used this sauce to make a linquini dish, it is very cheesy. I will make again for other recipes, so good. Thank you!