White Sauce or Cheddar White Sauce
For use in my Vegetable Melange Au Gratin recipe (#111644). Great for vegetables, omelets, souffles. For a richer white sauce, substitute light cream for milk, omitting salt. Can be made thinner for soups.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat, blend in flour, salt and dash white pepper (black is fine).
- Add milk all at once, cooking quickly, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Remove sauce immediately upon bubbling.
- CHEDDAR SAUCE add 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (makes 1 1/2 cups).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I am desperately searching for a mozzarella cheese sauce recipe that will copycat Ragu Creamy Mozzarella Sauce. They have discontinued that and my 6 year old grandson LOVED it. I have tried making a white sauce and adding mozzarella cheese but it doesn't taste anywhere the same. If someone can help me I would surely appreciate it.Reply
see 10 more