Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mexican Dinner Healthy Style
To make this you will need
- 453.59 g chicken breast
- 118.29 ml of shredded cheese
- 59.14 ml taco seasoning
- 59.16 ml cumin (2 for rice, 2 for chicken)
- 2 green onions
- 198.44 g can enchilada sauce
- 3 whole wheat wraps
- 236.59 ml brown rice
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 44.37 ml salsa
- 29.58 ml cumin
- First, I tossed some chicken breast in a pan with some olive oil, onions and green pepper. While that started to sizzle up I measured out some brown rice and put equal amounts of chicken broth (I almost always do this to my rice as it gives it soooo much flavor). I also added a dash of cumin, salt and pepper to taste and about 3 tbs. of salsa (Rotel, or diced tomatoes would work also). Then I covered it up and let it simmer on low. (Depending on the type of rice the amount of time changes.).
- Once the chicken was cooked all the way Jason helped me shred it -- WARNING, unless you have no nerves in your fingers like Jason wait till that chicken cools down a little. The Shredded Chicken goes back in the pan along with some the Taco seasoning and a cup of water. I also add a little bit of cumin because I love it. When the water thickens up to more of a sauce texture, scoop the chicken into tortillas. I always use the whole wheat kind.
- You can squish the wraps together to make more enchiladas if you have more people coming over, for just the two of us I made 3 and we had leftovers (they end up being big and filling).
- Next, I pour enchilada sauce over the top which helps to keep them moist, and is relatively low in fat (I only used about 1/2 the can). Sprinkle with some reduced fat shredded cheese and scallions and into the oven they go.
- Bake until bubbly at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.
- I served mine with the brown taco rice and some black beans. YUMMY!